Wednesday, April 30, 2008

the flute is like a piano

  oh, music.
since many a year i've happily had marital sex with the piano, all autodidactic, to which now i've added desktop sex with my brand new flute. while i must lay emphasis on the flute being traverse since recorders i've played quite enough in my life now. those three darlings decorate my wall since about two months. these days, my lips only touch silver [fake silver, that is].

when i first picked up the flute, that time at a friend's, it was magical. generally, i'm mad about instruments and could very well spend fortunes on them, but then there are some which are even more special, and the flute, i've come to realise, certainly is. when my own instrument arrived, shortly after, and i unpacked it with trembling hands, the sheer joy of touching the instruments, laying my fingers down onto the taps was so immense, it reminded me of the joy i get from doing the same thing with a piano.
since then, i'm in love with all the simple and charming melodies i extract from the piano songs i've been playing for such a long time now, and every tone seems to get an own new world of meaning with an instrument that is not polyphonic and yet perfectly lovable.

how amazing music is, ever and ever and ever again. listening, it takes me through time and space, emotions and memories. playing it seems better than breathing, sometimes [a rather queer association when playing the flute, yes] and just doesn't seem to loose its fascination.
my dream is, to live in a house [yes, already a dream] in whose every room there shall be at least one instrument, all of which i will at least have command over to an amount of producing music with fun. naturally, my plans on the distribution of instruments to those imaginary rooms varies from day to day; not to mention the realisation of the actual house.

anyhow, what does music do for you? of some i know, of others not. which part does it take in your life, active or passive, both or none? for how long have you been conscious about it, selective about it, explorative about it?


on an important sidenote: i've realised commenting wasn't available for anonymous persons which, i guess, might have scared many of you kitties off. so now anonymous posting is open, but please at least take the effort of signing with an inventive alias, if not your name.

now clickyclickyclicky on comments; the doctor has asked you a question...

4 comments:

saturninus said...

my relationship to music is a very very close one. in the last few years I became heavily addicted to music. sadly, I have no educational background in that field, so I am just a receiver, not a giver... but secretly (okay, not so secretly) I would like to be able to sing one day and become the instrument myself... but of course it may well remain only a dream.

pitt said...

what a fine flut, I´m very curious to listen.... ;-))

I wonder if I might feel that blogging is sometimes too public to me. interesting to write comments, but by now I think, I wouldn´t like to have a blog of my own.
quite conservative, hey???
greetings to vienna, my bike is already pawing with it´s hoofs.
c u papa

Anonymous said...

i have the piano quite abandoned, yet i keep on collecting pearls i find here and there for, when the motivation arrives, having something touching (to me) to play.
my last finding (melancholy):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XYQnMxWnetY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TiC1pALYkoA (original)

Anonymous said...

i actually play piano, and i am prepairing to accompany a friend who plays violin in a Sonata by Vivaldi... it's quite difficult but interesting: it's fascinating how involving could be playing in a duet - there's a sort of magic in it.
Today i tried to play the clarinet, another friend's one, and it is more difficult than what i thought but the sound is so suitable, and the clicketty-clicks when you change note... really love it ^^